Monday, October 17, 2005

Hugh Hefner

Did you know the first issue of Playboy was published in Rochelle Illinois? Well it was and I know this because I read a history of the beginning of Playboy Magazine in the Fortieth anniversary issue; and to be honest it inspired me. Hugh Hefner put everything he had on the line to get out what his vision of a mens magazine should be. He went out and preached to the masses his philosophy and they believed in him enough to invest in what is now a national institiution. Some even went in and bought stock in an unknown company at a dollar a share. Twenty years later when the stock went public many of those original investors became millionares. Valued at $750,ooo for every 100 shares that is a hell of a payoff. I am asking you people to have that same sort of faith in me when I get my act together and put out what I believe a magazine for weirdos should be. I want my vision on every coffee table of every misfit and ne'er-do-well in America and the civilized world, and two copies on the floor of every hut in the uncivilized world. I have something to say dammit, and I just have to figure out what the hell it is, put it in a nice package, and put it out there to be consumed by the hungered masses. All in good time my friends.
By the by, on Friday I am taping an episode of Rick Cork's Super Happy Fun Hour, this will just be the pilot in what will one day become an institution, or maybe I'm just doing my friend Dave a favor. Either way wish me luck, and I wish you luck in whatever it is you decide to do with your fucking life my friend.
Thank you for your support,
Rick Cork